Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Can anyone find pics of super 8 peepshow machines from the '70's

  1. #1
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Back in 1977 I worked on peepshow films and machines that ran in **** theaters.These were coin operated machines that ran super 8 prints(they were made from 16mm originals,I've shot a few in my day),loaded on cartridges not unlike the Fairchild,MPO and Technicolor machines.The prints were notched about every 25 feet or so to shut the projectors down so the viewer would insert more money.

    I've posted on film tech forums and some posted some really neat pictures of 16mm Scopitone machines,but nothing resembling what I worked on.

    I've often wondered what happened to these machines and their films after they were confiscated in **** raids.

    I can't be the only guy on this forum with a checkered history.C'mon guys,fess up and help me find some pics of thse old clunkers.As I recall they were pretty ingenious devices.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Apparently the bots here won't let me use a 4 letter word that starts with P and ends with N and has OR in the middle,so I'll call these establishments where I once worked adult entertainment art theaters.

  3. #3
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Arrow

    Originally posted by oldasdirt:

    I can't be the only guy on this forum with a checkered history.C'mon guys,fess up and help me find some pics of thse old clunkers.As I recall they were pretty ingenious devices.
    <font size="2" face="verdana, sans-serif">There's gotta be a funny retort lying in wait to the above comment. You could do a documentary on where all the peep show operators ended up. I bet it would prove fascinating. Especially the stories about sticky substances and shoe on sticky floor sound effects.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member etimh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 16th, 2005
    Posts
    71
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    There are a bunch of pictures of the Phonovue on this page--scroll down a bit for the relevant images:

    http://www.pinballrebel.com/archive/ami/mm5/mm5.htm

    Tim

  5. #5
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Tim,that's the closest I've seen.The forerunner of the music video.Looks like multiple Technicolor carts.Very similar except the ones I worked on only carried one cart which were changed about evry two weeks.When the prints had been circulated around all of the **** theaters,they were removed from the carts,put on reels and sold in the bookstores for around 20 bucks.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by oldasdirt:
    I.
    <font size="2" face="verdana, sans-serif">There's gotta be a funny retort lying in wait to the above comment. You could do a documentary on where all the peep show operators ended up. I bet it would prove fascinating. Especially the stories about sticky substances and shoe on sticky floor sound effects.
    [/QUOTE]

    That's a great idea.I wish I could find stock footage of the old adult theaters.Here's a picture of the theater I worked,taken in 1984,about a year before it closed down and was demolished.ROXY Jacksonville Florida on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    I really never had to deal with sticky substances on the floor much as I seldom ventured into the auditorium area of the theater and the peepshow machines were serviced from the rear,behind the viewing screen.Now I'm waiting for a wise crack about "servicing from the rear".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •